SC - Feeding Anya's big bad Mongol

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 21 21:12:18 PDT 1999

Bonne sked:
>   I will be assisting the cook as an event called "cossacks, mongols
> and huns (oh my!)" and while she is taking advantage of the wide range of
> geography described by that name, she isn't being particularly "period" that
> I know of. About all I know is she is baking pumpernickel bread and serving
> rabbit stew .  She mentioned that she doesn't know what to do about a
> non-alcholic drink to serve with the meal, nor what to do about dessert.
> What does that big, bad, Mongol eat anyway?

Perhaps these files in my Florilegium might be of use:
fd-Mongol-msg     (24K)  9/ 4/98    Food of the Mongols. Recipes.
fd-Russia-msg     (25K)  4/16/99    Russian food. Russian cookbooks.
kumiss-msg        (26K)  6/24/98    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.
kvass-msg         (64K)  5/26/99    Russian drink made from bread or grains.

These files might help with some background and other referances:
Russia-bib         (8K)  7/20/94    Bibliography on Russian history.
Russia-msg        (66K)  2/19/99    Russian and Kievian Culture and language.
Mongols-msg       (59K)  4/27/99    Mongol culture, bibliography. Mongol horses.

This one is also an excellant source of info, but it is unlikely to be on
the website until I get another site or more room:
Rus-Handbook-art  (97K)  9/ 2/99    Rus' Handbook from the Eoforwic Novogrod
                                       event AS 24. Edited by Nicolaa de Bracton

However, I can send the last file to anyone who wants it in Word or text
format.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: