SC - Period Scottish Dessert

Nick Sasso njs at mccalla.com
Wed Sep 22 06:46:45 PDT 1999

Yes On this one it the first recorded date is 1601, however I feel that this
is much older, as there are page fragments that appear to have the same
recipe on them, that appear to be of the same fiber content as the older
recipes.
However the older version appears to have been made with "barley wine"
I contacted my cousin in Edinburgh last night about it.  He said that the
copy, he had made of the older recipes(when my Mother-in-law was in Scotland
1993) used a word that would translate as "Home brew",
which usually meant a beverage made from fermented barley.

Lady Katherine McGuire

m'Lady,

Barley wine is generally a fermented barley malt beverage that starts with a very high specific gravity, representing high sugar content of the wort.  The result is a high alcohol (up to 14%ish) and very malty & bittered beverage needing long aging times.  This leads to the term barley 'wine'.  It seems reasonable that the term could be translated as both 'home brew' and 'Barley Wine', depending on the brewing practices of specific households.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco