SC - ham

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 23 04:30:15 PDT 1999

Christina van Tets wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> There are also various Scots recipes for mutton hams (try Theodora
> Fitzgibbon) - apparently pork was looked on askance by some sections of the
> Scots community.

Yes, there seems to be a sort of dividing line at the Antonine Wall,
approximately. Highland Scots prefer mutton in general over pork, while
Lowlanders seem to have less of a problem with pork.

> My usual indoor smoking technique is one I took from Elizabeth Cheong (Tiny
> Delights) which she uses for fish.  Basically get one wok, pile green tea in
> the bottom, put a cake rack on top, then the meat or fish and a lid of some
> kind.  Put it on the lowest heat possible on the stove, and leave for an
> hour.  Don't forget to reseason the wok afterwards because the tea sticks to
> it, and you may also need to clean the ceiling if you do this regularly.

Laughs uproariously! Yes, you may need to clean the ceiling after doing
it once! (Sorry, my kitchen happens to be poorly ventilated!)

Some recipes add a bit of sugar and five spice to this formula, which,
BTW, is great with duck as well.

Ta,

Adamantius
- --