SC - Whipped Cream

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Thu Sep 23 17:09:47 PDT 1999

>I've just recieved my copy of Pleyn Delit, and I love it : )
>There are a couple of questionmarks though - the authors repetedly state
>that medieval cooks did not whip either cream or eggwhite. Does anyone
>know if this is really true?
>I find it hard to believe
>
>Yours in Service
>Lady Uta

Hello!  I've got a recipe for Crustade Lumbard (Harl. 279, Dyuerse Bake
metis, #17) that says "Take gode Creme, & leuys of Percely, & Eyroun, [th]e
[3]olkys & [th]e whyte, & breke hem [th]er-to, & strayne [th]orwe a
straynoure, tyl it be so styf [th]at it wol bere hym-self..."

If the phrase "tyl it be so styf [th]at it wol bere hym-self..." is
referring to the cream, then this is the earliest mention of whipped cream
that I've found yet. (c. 1430)

There's an illustration from Il Cuoco Segreto..., 1570, showing a cook
whipping cream with a whisk.  I posted that illustration here:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food-art/cheese_and_butter.gif

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net