SC - Ham

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 24 09:44:20 PDT 1999

>  So if you go into a delicatessen or market or restaurant where you live
>  and order a ham sandwich, you get a fresh, uncured ham sandwich? Really?
>  How about ham and eggs? >>
>
>I certainly don't expect salt cured ham unless I order salt cured ham.
>MOST
>of the time when you ask for a ham sandwich, what you get is processed pig
>meat, not necessarily ham.
>
>Mordonna

well, you get what's referred to around here as 'city ham' and that most
Americans call ham, and my husband's british family calls "gamon", but you
don't get ham, that lovely, dry, salty, stuff that most American's feel the
need to qualify as 'country ham' but which is really the real deal and it
doesn't make good sandwhiches til after it's been soaked to releive the
saltiness and texture and then baked. I know the list has been down this
road before.
Bonne