SC - Re: Welcome to sca-cooks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 25 05:58:06 PDT 1999

ChannonM at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/24/99 9:14:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> << Terence Scully edition of Taillevent  >>
>
> I have Scully's Early French Cookery,  and he talks about the Taillevant
> being from earlier works. I don't however have  his edition of T and would be
> hard pressed to get it between now and next Saturday. Can anyone suggest how
> I can obtain it quickly, or get access to it electronically?
>
> I know I am pushing this for next week, but life just suddenly crept up on me
> and the inspiration made itself known to me just two days ago. I guess if I
> don't have it I can infer my reasoning.
>
> "You might check out the Valais ms from
> Switzerland, "
>
> Can it be obtained electronically?
>
> Thank you for your help.  When I find this recipe I'll post it for everyone.
> Hauviette

What, specifically, are you looking for? If it's a question of posting a
small chunk from Scully's edition of the VAL ms, I'll be happy to do
that, because I don't think it exists anywhere online, copyright
restrictions being what they are. You might, conceivably, find the
Pichon edition somewhere online (or is that Le Menagier I'm thinking of?)

Anyway, if you let me know what you need I can probably post it here. I
didn't recall your saying what it was you were looking for, other than
saying that some editions of le Viandier go further back than others.

You might also e-mail James Prescott, who is the translator of the
edition you have, and also a SCAdian. He could presumably tell you more
about the ms in question. Unfortunately I don't have his address handy.
Does anybody else?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy