SC - Can medieval food be heart-smart?

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Sat Sep 25 12:18:45 PDT 1999

I'm sorry, but the idea of "smartening" up recipes to cater to people with a
cholesterol problem just gives me the shudders.  I view a feast as a
"once-in-a-while indulgence" in foods that my doctor would have a cow (so to
speak) at the fat content of.

Changing feast recipes won't change anyone's overall diet and therefore is
unnecessary and purely symbolic.  Those with severe problems can either
watch fats carefully before and after the feast or simply refrain from
partaking of fatty period foods.

Period foods are high in fat for a reason -- they needed the fat to survive
in cold, drafty, pre-furnace houses.

Raoghnailt
Stan Wyrm, Artemisia
rygbee at montana.com