SC - Ham

margali margali at 99main.com
Sun Sep 26 11:52:35 PDT 1999

You would probably get a brine injected boiled ham, the
brine to replace the salt rubbed dry cure. This is what you
festoon with cloves and some syrupy glop to make it have
some descernable taste. Now if you want a really good ham
you have to pay to get a real cured ham-smithfield,
prosciutto, or even a maple rubbed applewood smoked ham...

If I want fresh pork of the appropriate cut, I ask for a
pork shoulder, though if you mention 'ham' to me in the
roman or medieval sense I would include fresh as well as
preserved.
margali
who remembers this discussion from the last time I made
Pernam and mentioned it on list...