SC - bread

Tue Sep 28 07:02:24 PDT 1999

> In a message dated 9/27/99 5:28:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> cjvt at hotmail.com
> writes:
>
> << Greased it a little on the inside, put the
>  risen dough in very carefully so I didn't squish it, having taken it out
> of
>  its bowl and turned it upside down.  I deliberately turned it upside down
>
>  for 2 reasons:  I had more control over getting it into the potjie,
> without
>  it collapsing in my fingers, >>
>

> Why would you not want it to collapse? Standard breadmaking techniques
> require a first raise, then you punch it down. Put it in the greased dish
> you
> are going to bake it in, then let it rise again. Then bake.
>
> Ras

Modern breadmaking technique uses a double rise in many cases, but it is not
necessarily the way things are always done.  Single rise can be used for
speed or in specialty breads.  Pizza, for example, is usually a single rise
bread.

In this case, transferring the dough from the rising pan to the cook pot
which is to serve as the oven requires some care because of the difficulty
of using a peel makes a hand transfer the preferred choice.  While the dough
could have been placed in a pan, allowed a second rise and then baked,
baking the dough directly in the pot from a single rise is probably closer
to period country and field practice.

Bear