Funeral Feasts - was Re: SC - Marion Zimmer Bradley: MourningSong (FWD)

April Abbott orlando at rogues.net
Tue Sep 28 12:46:59 PDT 1999

I haven't actually been around home for many funerals, but I certainly saw
lots of casseroles when my Mom has been in the hospital for surgery.  Except
in Minnesota they call them "hot dishes" for some reason.  I guess our
friends thought we wouldn't be able to handle meals without Mom there, so
they were making things easier for us.  (As I recall, I think Mom had left
me pretty good instructions for cooking in her absence, and shopped before
going into the hospital, so I had food that I needed to use.  Because of
that many of the "hot dishes" ended up being saved in the freezer for later.
But it was a kind gesture, nevertheless.)

- -Sofonisba