SC - Funeral food practices

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Tue Sep 28 15:50:58 PDT 1999

Master A,

I've only been to one funeral (my grandfather a couple of years ago) and
noticed a similar phenomenon.  Mum explained that people cooked food as a
way they could "help" the bereaved.  So that they (the cooks) didn't feel
too frustrated and useless by being unable to comfort the bereaved - i.e. it
gave them something to do.

After the wake (or whatever you call it) the bereaved will baggy up portions
of leftover food to give to the departing ones as a thank you for their
efforts.

However bagging up your own food was/is considered a serious non-no.  Very
tacky, likely to get you excommunicated from that set of friends/family.

In the culture I grew up in (country NSW, Australia) words weren't
considered an appropriate way to express emotions (men were a stoic lot and
the women were very pragmatic).  Gestures such as cooking and accepting
gifts of return food were considered acceptable.

Hope this helps

Mel.