SC - Re: Funeral Feasts

Jennifer Rushman rushmaj at basf-corp.com
Tue Sep 28 12:34:57 PDT 1999

I've experienced several of these 'Feasts' although I've always
heard them still referred to as a 'Wake.'  The most recently attended
was for my Grandmother in the Midwest.  She was quite involved at
the church, preparing baked goods and cooking at other 'wakes' in
the parish.  Approx. 8-10 women would get together at the church and
serve up a meal to all those who had just attended the funeral.  Foods
often served are: chicken, mostaccioli, potato salad, lettuce salad,
rolls, cookies, cakes, tea, lemonade and coffee.  Occasionally they
would even be catered by an outside catering business or one from
the parish.  Each time I have attended one it is informal, served buffet
 style with unassigned seating.  It is a good time to meet with family
 members you don't often see.  My experiences has been very similar
at other 'wakes' as well throughout the Midwest.  I often end up taking
home  leftovers as the ladies serving hate to see anyone from the family
go home empty handed.
Later,
CH
- ---
L. Clare Hele, Barony of Windmaster's Hill, Kingdom of Atlantia
Jennifer Rushman, BASF Corp. RTP, NC