Funeral Feasts - was Re: SC - Marion Zimmer Bradley: MourningSong (FWD)

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Sep 28 17:36:05 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/28/1999 9:16:34 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
troy at asan.com writes:

<<  I realized nobody was packing the actual food into other,
 expendable containers to leave behind for the bereaved (or whomever, as
 I say this was a while ago and I'm not certain it was a funeral). The
 best (and only) explanation I got for this behavior was something like,
 "It's customary..."

 I remember thinking it both bizarre and not a little tacky, but if it is
 some kind of regional folkway, I can't complain. Has anybody run across
 anything like this before?

Everywhere I have lived, the rule was, if it is just a pot luck, you take
home your leftovers.  If it is a funeral feast, or for someone who is ill, or
for the loved ones of someone who is ill, you leave the leftovers.  The
polite thing to do in such an event is to bring the food in disposable
containers that do not require washing.

Mordonna