SC - clary - was Stefan's recent wafer experiment

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Sep 29 07:41:31 PDT 1999

<snip>

>On a related note, I've recently been playing with Ms Add 32085 and see
>there's a clary recipe that is nearly identical to most of the hippocras
>recipes I've seen, except for the fact that it appears to lack sugar.
>For those who pay attention to this stuff, would they say that that
>would be a defining characteristic, that hippocras has sugar and clary
>doesn't? I think I haven't seen enough clary recipes yet.
>
>Adamantius
>--
>Phil & Susan Troy
>
>troy at asan.com

Would you please post this recipe? I'm collecting clary wine recipes. Of
the 4 I have, 3 use sugar & one uses raisins for sweetness.  Here is the
earliest one, all the others are OOP.

CLARY WINE - 1621 - (this recipe has a scribal error in the amount of sugar
called for)
Ten gallons of water, thirteen pounds of sugar to the gallon, and the
whites of sixteen eggs well beat.  Boil it slowly one hour and skim it
well.  Then put it into a tub till it is almost cold.  Take a pint of Clary
flowers with the small leaves and stalks, put them into a barrel with a
pint of ale yeast, then put in your liquor and stir it twice a day till it
has done working.  Make it up close and keep it four months, and then
bottle it off.
(From A Delightful Daily Exercise for Ladies and Gentlemen, by John
Murrell, 1621.)

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net