SC - Dark Breads revisited-mostly OT

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Wed Sep 29 23:58:32 PDT 1999

Lord Frederich Holstein der Tollhase wrote:
>Thought some of you might be interested.  Are their perchance bread recipes
>out there that call for raisins that we may have misinterpreted?

Starting around the end of our period (as bread-type baking recipes came to
be more commonly written down), there are a bunch of recipes for cakes,
usually yeast-leavened, with sugar, spice and whole dried currants kneaded
into them. The currant - more specifically the dried currant - is a kind of
raisin. This is the only period kind of raisin bread/cake that I know about.

BTW, there's another type of currant that is a very different species
(related to the gooseberry), and is typically used in preserves and jelly
rather than as a dried fruit. Currants sold fresh are probably this kind;
currants sold dried should be the other kind (i. e. the raisin kind),
especially if they look just like little baby raisins.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon