SC - gazpacho and Rome

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Thu Sep 30 05:06:03 PDT 1999

I went and looked up gazpacho in the early 18th century Spanish dictionary
that is available online and this is part of the entry:

"Cierro genero de sopa ó menestra, que se hace regularmente con pan hecho
pedacitos, azéite, vinagre, ajos y orros ingredientes, conforme al guito de
cada uno."

Now 18th century Spanish is not my strong point but my first attempt at
translating would go something like: "A type of soup made of vegetables
chopped up evenly, with bread torn in pieces, oil, vinegar, garlic and
other(?) ingredients ..." (don´t know about the last bit). You Spanish
speakers out there, can you translate this, please?

Anyway, tomatoes are not mentioned here, though they may be a part of the
vegetables (if I have got that part right). Or does "menestra" not
neccessarily mean vegetables? Is that just a descriptive word and the bread,
oil, vinegar, garlic etc. is the whole recipe? Comments?

Nanna