SC - gazpacho and Rome

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Sep 30 05:33:18 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 30 Sep 99,, that Nanna Rognvaldardottir wrote:

> I went and looked up gazpacho in the early 18th century Spanish dictionary
> that is available online and this is part of the entry:
>
> "Cierro genero de sopa ó menestra, que se hace regularmente con pan hecho
> pedacitos, azéite, vinagre, ajos y orros ingredientes, conforme al guito
> de cada uno."
>
> Now 18th century Spanish is not my strong point but my first attempt at
> translating would go something like: "A type of soup made of vegetables
> chopped up evenly, with bread torn in pieces,

"Little pieces" would be closer.

> oil, vinegar, garlic and
> other(?) ingredients ..." (don´t know about the last bit). You Spanish
> speakers out there, can you translate this, please?

I can't connect to it right now; access to the dictionary seems to be
difficult during the day in my time zone.  I suspect that the lettering or
the spelling is off, and that the last line is "conforme al guiSo de casa
uno" which would be, "conforming to the taste/seasoning preferences of
each one."

> Anyway, tomatoes are not mentioned here, though they may be a part of the
> vegetables (if I have got that part right). Or does "menestra" not
> neccessarily mean vegetables? Is that just a descriptive word and the
> bread, oil, vinegar, garlic etc. is the whole recipe? Comments?

My modern dictionary says "menestra" is a pottage made of roots and
pulses or a vegetable soup.

> Nanna

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain