SC - gazpacho and Rome

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Thu Sep 30 17:13:54 PDT 1999

Menestra, my friend, is an italian word, "minestrone", adopted by the
Spaniards when they owned Neapel too. In catalan you also use the word,
menestra, as all you eat in a meal. I dont have a clue about the
ethymology of the word. Maybe from Latin? What does our Latinists say?
Menestra or minestrone is a thick soup, the opposite from consomé or
light soup.
Ana

LrdRas at aol.com skrev:

> In a message dated 9/30/99 8:35:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, harper at idt.net
> writes:
>
> << "Little pieces" would be closer. >>
>
> OK. I give up. the closest I came to this is '"menesteroso 1. abject, dismal,
> meager, miserable, wretched 2. miserable, needy" which would be in line with
> the root crops thingy or even the small pieces BUT my main question is 'what
> are the URLs that you use for your info? The dictionary/transalation programs
> I use couldn't find 'menestra' as a word. :-(
>
> Ras

- --
http://www.algonet.se/~agora  Hemsida och skyltfönster
http://www.algonet.se/~agora/ada Nättidning för kvinnor och män med