SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1669

Robert C. Lightfoot celtcat at almatel.net
Thu Sep 30 23:10:48 PDT 1999

> earlier this summer I posted re: my experience making pickled cherries and
> making a drink syrup with the leftover pickled vinegar.  Someone stated that
> the pickled cherries were a traditional dish in Russia. I'd like more
> information on that if the person is still around, or if anyone else has
> heard this.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Lady Bonne de Traquair
> Buckston-on-Eno
> Windmasters' Hill
> Atlantia

I'm not sure what your recipe for the cherries was, but at least one of my basic Russian
cookbooks contains a recipe for marinated cherries using assorted spices, vinegar, sugar
& water.[_Art of Russian Cusine_ by Anne Volokh.]

 _A Taste of Russia_ by Darra Goldstein {formerly _A la Russe_] also has a recipe for
spiced pickeld cherries and mentions that when Peter the Great returned from Holland
intyent upon Westernizing Russia, he brought along the idea of serving pickled fruits
with meats and this practise was well accepted.

Lady Siobhan ni Ahearn
Camden Tor
Meridies