SC - SC REC Bara Brith (Welsh)

UnruhBays, Melanie A UnruhBays.Melanie.A at tci.com
Wed Sep 1 06:18:31 PDT 1999

My Welsh Aunt gave me a "family" recipe, which I summarily lost many years
ago. Thank you for posting this one. I had another, but it was written in an
inexact fashion, and I've never gotten it to work properly. My aunt always
said that the best Bara Brith is to be sliced thinly - the thinner the
better - as an expression of welcome for one's guests. Of course, the denser
the bread, the thinner it slices. Although it's in the same class as
fruitcake (euwww...), it's really very good. Of course that might be the
genes talking, too.
Although this is an important part of my Welsh heritage, and I am aware that
it is very old, I have never had any inkling that it might be period. But
I've always wondered. Any ideas?
Maredudd
(Who's mother's *legal* name is Angharad)

<snip>