SC - RE:New CA: French Food in the Renaissance

Schumacher, Deborah (AZ15) Deborah.Schumacher at iac.honeywell.com
Wed Sep 1 09:04:50 PDT 1999

Anne-Marie Rousseau said,

Margaret sez:
At 01:30 PM 8/27/99 -0400, Gretchen M Beck wrote:
>Got a new CA today: French Food in the Renaissance: A survey of Recipes
>from the 14th to the 17th Centuries by Anne-Marie Rousseau (aka
>Maitresse Anne-Marie d'Ailleurs).
>
>I've been looking over it, and while I have some nitpicks (like the
>ubiqutous use of cheddar cheese, and sweet orange juice), it looks not
>too bad.
>
>Other opinions?

Lay it on me, man! :) The document you hold in your hand is the result of
some serious haggling between me as the author, and a very word conscious
editor. I am hoping someday to publish it as a standalone, and include all
the notes she had me take out for space (like the discussion on cheese).

all for a free exchange of constructive criticism..............

So I'm gonna ask!  I got my copy of this on Monday , and have been looking
it over.
Margaret mentioned the use of cheddar cheese, whats wrong with that?
Another thing i note is that a lot of the  pies/tarts when filled,  have a
rather thin filling and that the filling may need to be doubled for modern
tastes. (If thats not worded righ holler at me)
So my Question on this is, were medival pies less full? Or were the pie
crusts smaller making the filling more substantial?  Do we  know what the
medival pie size was?
Just a  few thoughts, overall the book looks good, i know i will be using
it..

Zoe
Barony of Sundragon
Atenveldt