SC - german/prussian recipe, help needed

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 13:34:13 PDT 1999

With all this talk of blini and blintzes, I have been
reminded of a recipe that my grandmother used to make
and passed down to my mother.  We used to call them
"cheese biscuits", but that is not a very accurate
description of them.  My grandmother was from East
Prussia, from outside Thorn/Torun on the Vistula/Visla
River. It is now part of Poland, but when she was born
[in 1893] it was completely Prussian German and had
been for several hundred years at least.  Any way,
these cheese "biscuits" are actually in form closer to
to a fried pie.  The recipe has two parts, one for the
crust, which is very similar to pie crust, and the
other part is for the filling, which is simply a
sweetened hoop cheese.  After rolling out the crust,
you cut rounds of dough, place a heaping spoonful
of hoop cheese in the center and then fold the crust
together and press the dough together with a twist to
keep the ends from separating and fry them on a
griddle until both sides have browned.  They are
served warm, with a sprinkling of sugar on top of
them.

I have been looking and looking for anything similar
in German, Polish, Russian and Scandinavian cookbooks,
to find the roots of this recipe, but I have never
found anything similar.  Have any of you seen any
similar recipes anywhere?  Either in period or out of
period?

The funny thing is that one other family recipe which
she passed down is for Beef Rouladen, which I have
easily found in tons of German cookbooks and have
traced back into SCA period.

Anyway, I appreciate any help anyone can give me in
this.

Huette