SC - pierogis

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Sat Sep 4 09:09:10 PDT 1999

In Russian, "pirog" (not pirosk) means pie/tart (with a shortcrust or
bread-type crust and baked).

"pir" means feast/banquet (there's one of them feast terms!), and so does
"pirshestvo"(the verb form is pirshestvovat')
"pirozhok" = pastry, patty, pie
"pirozhnoe" = pastries, fancy cake, pastry, it used to mean "sweet" as well.

I'll need to go and double-check with an Old Russian language dictionary,
but "pir" sounds like an ancient word to me and is more than likely period
(I know I've seen period references to pies, will have to go and find
them).  Guess Russians like their pies enough to equate them with feasting,
hmm?  Or maybe it goes the other way 'round.

Ilyana Barsova (Yana)  jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
Slavic Interest Group http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html