SC - Pennsic competition

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 5 18:16:56 PDT 1999

Ras replied to Phlip:
> << Funny. I seem to remember that the Midrealm had a Queen last year, Queen
>  Kenna, whose King had died before Coronation.
>  Phlip >>
>
> Correct. It was the East that withdrew from the field. 30 Confed fighters
> refused to withdraw.  Ansteorran fighters, including some chiv and people
> from other kingdoms began to join the ranks of the Mountain Confederation
> Before too long the sides were almost balanced again. The Confed fighters
> spearheaded a charge and the battle was fought and won. Several time spans
> later, defeat by the 'other' side was acknowledged and then final war point
> was assigned. Vivats to the blue and gold of the Mountain Confederation whose
> bravery on the field that day is still sung around the campfires of many a
> camp. :-)

Sigh. I think this conversation has gone on long enough for a list dedicated
to studying medieval food and not modern SCA politics, but I do think this
illustrates that the "majority" of fighters are not out on the field to win
a War Point. They are out there for the personal challenges and because
they enjoy it. Had the War Point been a determining factor then there
would not have been the large number of fighters willing to switch sides
to even things out. The fighters were more interested in having a good
battle than winning the point.

For those interested in seeing the story of this battle from a slightly
different viewpoint, that of the Anstoerrans and Mountain Confederacy, I
think those viewpoints can be found in my P-hist-msg file.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****