SC - Medlars and Sorb Apples

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Mon Sep 6 10:53:40 PDT 1999

I was reading through Platina the other day and found references to a
couple of fruits/plants I'm not familiar with.  Both are in Book 2.

The first is a medlar.  He says to eat the leaves and seeds, grind the
leaves, bark and roots to make poltices, and drink the juice with wine
to counteract poison.

The other is a sorb apple {3 varieties}, which he praises more for its
medicinal value than as food.

Can anyone who isn't horticulturally impaired explain what these are and
whether they're still used today?

John le Burguillun
Barony of Nottinghill Coill
Atlantia