SC - pierogis

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 6 12:02:02 PDT 1999

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 3-Sep-99 Re: SC - pierogis by
"Karen O"@lewistown.net
> >All the pierogi recipes that I have seen use a yeast dough for the crust
> and use meat or potatoes or hard, cured cheese for the filling.  While they
> appear to have a similar look, they don't seem, in my opinion, to have the
> same taste.<
>
>         I don't remember a yeast dough  (are you confusing
> perioski/pierogi?)  it was flour on the table, a well for the eggs and a bit
> of salt mixed together and then rolled out on the table.  I'll look for a
> recipe   -- and consult my Aunt (which will take a while coz she's in CA and
> I'll have to write/call)   BTW  fillings I remember were potatoes and
> cheese, sauerkraut and bacon, onion and bacon, and a light sweet cheese,
> and was told anything could be a filling.

Indeed, I've never seen a pierogi recipe with yeast in the dough either
- -- the dough is almost always a fairly standard noodle dough -- flour,
egg, occasionally some sort of oil or sour cream, and water.  I've
always suspected that the prune pierogi was the descendant of the
cuskynole (opps, now I've done it ;-)

A couple other good fillings are 1. cottage/ricotta cheese, parsley,
shallots, sage or basil, and butter, and 2. Ham, onions, and potatos.

There is a recipe in Castelvetro for Fava tartelets which, if you follow
the description, are very similar to pierogi.  Filling, as I recall, is
fava beans with raisins, honey, and cinnamon.  Put in dough, fry in
olive oil.  I think they smell disgusting, but my husband, who normally
turns up his nose at beans, loves them.  Go figure.

toodles, margaret