SC - SC: Panisses and other flat breads

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Mon Sep 6 12:35:00 PDT 1999

>-Poster: <Elysant at aol.com> wrote:

<BEEG snip>
>The
>panisses of Provence may very well have been created ten thousand years ago
>in one of the many early settlements along the Mediterranean that have been
>studied".
>
>Panisses with Honey and Olive Oil (OOP)
>Yields apporximately 8 pannisses
>
>3 cups sifted flour
>3/4 cup olive oil
>1 1/2 teaspoons orange-flower water
>2 teaspoons dried orange peel
>1 teaspoon salt
>1/3 cup honey
>1/4 teaspoon thyme
>Water as needed (approximately 1 cup)
<another BEEG snip>
>(from Madeleine Cooks by Madeleine Kamman)

I found this recipe very curious. When i lived in Provence in 1973, the
panisses i bought were made of chick pea flour which, it seems to me, had
been cooked as a porridge, then cooled in round patterned moulds until they
set. They had no appreciable seasoning (maybe some salt, but certainly no
herbs or flower waters or sweeteners). The way to cook them was to fry them
until a bit crispy in olive oil. I forget what i ate them with... probably
pretty simply as they were intended as *main course* Lenten food, as a
"meat replacement".

I was SOOO "disappointed" when i discovered Chez Panisse, as i imagined
from the name that it would serve panisse :-) when in fact it is a very
pricey but delicious gourmet restaurant, and panisses are far from gourmet
(but i still have a hankering for them)

Anahita