SC - EINTOPF history & recipe

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Tue Sep 7 02:23:23 PDT 1999

Wartime German Eintopf recipe for Ras (I´m not sure but I think I got it
from a magazine article by an Icelandic woman who lived in Germany during
the war):

Erbsensuppe mit Pökelfleisch

350 g (12 oz) dried peas
700 g (1 1/2 lb) salted pig scraps (for instance ears, snout, tail, throat)
2 litres (8-9 cups) water
500 g (1 lb) rutabagas
500 g (1 lb) potatoes
other soup vegetables if available
salt
pepper
a pinch of majoram

Wash the peas and soak them for 12-24 hours. Wash the pork, then place it in
a cooking pot with the peas and the water, bring to the boil and let simmer
until tender (1 1/2 - 2 hours).  Wash and trim the vegetables but do not
peel them unless really necessary. Cut them up small and add to the pot.
Bring to the boil again and simmer until tender. Season with salt and pepper
and some marjoram, if you have it. Serve the meat on a separate plate, or
cut it up small and add it to the soup again. If you should have a piece,
200-250 g (1/2 lb), of well soaked salted pork belly, you can use that
instead of the pig scraps.

Nanna