SC - Sources and documentation

Catherine Hartley caitlin_ennis at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 7 09:21:57 PDT 1999

>Lest I be sited as an example of one who doesn't, I  do all of my own
>redacting and have with only a single exception (the Squash Soup in The
>Medieval Kitchen) never used any recipes from commercial sources, including
>Thousand Eggs or the Miscellany, because there are so many recipes that
>havenot been done or that have been done poorly, I feel that time spent
>creating new and better redactions is far more useful to the SCA  and to
>those who study medieval cookery.

>Ras

Earlier in your post you quoted the "Take a thousand eggs... (both volumes)"
as a commercial source.  These books and Cariadoc's "Collections" have many,
many recipes in them that have been translated but not "redacted" or
otherwise adapted within the pages of the books.  So there is plently of
readily available primary material from which to work in both collections.
If you do not use these sources at all to find your primary material, where
do you find it?

I, myself, will make a recipe in a commerical collection, but I often do not
look at the authors "adaptation" until I have made my own of the translated
recipe. I do not speak Italian, German, or Spanish. I can read French, but
generally work from other's translations there as well. I, too, find the
redaction process as part of the "fun" in medieval cooking. But for those
who do not want to, I am so glad there is such a variety of translated and
more less well adapted recipes from which feasts can be created. At least we
can look forward to someone's redaction!

Caitlin of Enniskillen