SC - Sources and documentation

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 14:42:32 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/7/99 12:23:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
caitlin_ennis at hotmail.com writes:

<< Earlier in your post you quoted the "Take a thousand eggs... (both
volumes)"
 as a commercial source.  These books and Cariadoc's "Collections" have many,
 many recipes in them that have been translated but not "redacted" or
 otherwise adapted within the pages of the books.  So there is plenty of
 readily available primary material from which to work in both collections.
 If you do not use these sources at all to find your primary material, where
 do you find it? >>

<Sigh> Let me explain more clearly. If Ms. Renfrow, for instance, quotes a
period recipe in a work, I will use the period recipe and IF it is her
translation, credit it to her. If not, I credit it to the original place it
appeared. If I use a recipe from Cariadoc's Collections, I sight the
manuscript it was taken from and the volume of the Collection where it can be
found. BUT I do not use previously REDACTED recipes by either of these people
(or any other people, for that matter, with the exception noted) .

I fail to see how my post could have been taken to mean I did not use
original MEDIEVAL recipes or translations thereof. I have reread my post and
cannot understand how this misunderstanding came about. I was discussing the
use of redactions of recipes NOT the recipes used to create the redactions.

Just because I said I do not use the redactions from commercial sources there
can be no inference from my previous post that I do not use commercial
sources for original recipes from which to redact. I think a quick glance at
the many recipes and my redactions for them that I have posted to this will
clarify that.

Ras