SC -Lenten/Vegan ideas

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Wed Sep 8 01:05:54 PDT 1999

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain wrote:
>I would include a few sweet dishes, and at least one with fruit. ...

I quite agree. I just looked up the menus in _Curye_on_Inglysch_ (my
favorite redaction of period recipes and food writings). There are two 14th
century menus recommended for use on fish days.

In the first menu, the third (and last) course is "rosee to potage & crem of
almaundes, therwith sturioun & welkes, grete eles & lamprouns, dariol,
lechefres of frut, & therwith nyrsebeke." In the second fish day menu, the
third course is "crustede, fretour of mylk & frutour blaunche, dariol of
almaund, rapey, rosee, & chesan. The first of these has four fish dishes to
five fishless goodies, while the second is basically all goodies, just one
of which probably contains fish mixed with currants and almonds.

Apparently neither menu follows Lenten restrictions on milk and eggs. The
fretour of milk and perhaps the first dariol contain milk or milk products,
while the dariols, crustede and fretour of milk most likely contain eggs.
But many of the foods listed here would also be suitable for Lent.

By the way, while the most sweets, etc., came in the last course, they
started to appear before then. The first menu ends the second course with
"tartes and flampoyntes," while the second has "cheuettes of frut" in the
first course and begins the second course with "lechefreys, flampoyntes,
dariol, hastelestes of frut..." Again, some of these are not Lenten foods.

Still, there are a bunch of yummy Lenten goodies here, and that's just from
menus written (as recommendations) in 14th century England. Look a little
farther and one could find enough for a good many Lenten banquets. :-)

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon