SC - Recipes for period Bear Meat to be used in

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Sep 8 16:31:38 PDT 1999

Frederich-

Whatever you do, please be sure to cook it very thoroughly. Bears are VERY
subject to trichinosis and don't have the advantages of regular wormings and
such as our modern swine do- also, they're omnivorous, and are likely to eat
anything.

If in fact you were serious about this being an old bear, particularly if it
was male, consider stewing the blazes out of it, and marinating it.
Tenderizing it with a sledgehammer would not be out of the question ;-)

My suggestion for a period recipe would be a Hunter's Stew, found in most
European Medieval Cultures. All you do is take as many meats  as you have
caught that day and stew them. I could easily see using venison, rabbit, and
pheasant, since we have ready access to them, maybe a few quail, etc. Served
with a homemade bread, with several lighter sides, you'd have the basis of a
very simple but tasty feast, with the major part of it, the meat, just left
on the fire to mumble away.

That sounds like it might be a good thing for Caer Frig's Land Grab Feast,
come to think of it- could you save us a few pounds?

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio