SC - OT - stuffed camel

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Wed Sep 8 18:12:28 PDT 1999

I remember a discussion of this recipe or one like it came up on this list
"a few" months ago. It just floated through another list, so i'm passing it
on.

I have not verified the existence of the purported book, just passing on
the gossip. It looks completely apocryphal to me, but, hey, i've never
boiled a whole camel...

Anahita

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
(as copied from the other message)

In a cookbook called International Cuisine, presented by California Home
Economics Teachers, 1983 (ISBN 0-89626-051-8), you will find:

 Stuffed Camel

 1 whole camel, medium size
 1 whole lamb, large size
  20 whole chickens, medium size
  60 eggs
 12 kilos rice
 2 kilos pine nuts
 2 kilos almonds
 1 kilo pistachio nuts
 110 gallons water
 5 pounds black pepper
 Salt to taste

 Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken.
Boil until tender. Cook rice until fluffy. Fry nuts until brown and mix
with rice. Hard boil eggs and peel. Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled
eggs and rice. Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens. Add more rice.
Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice. Broil over
large charcoal pit until brown. Spread any remaining rice on large tray and
place camel on top of rice. Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts. Serves
friendly crowd of 80-100.

Shararazod Eboli
Home Economist, Dammam, Saudi Arabia