SC - OT - For Cooking Laurels/Pelicans

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 18:27:30 PDT 1999

Yes, Meliora, I once had an apprentice who lived 200
miles away, but because each of us had vehicular
infirmities, we hardly ever saw each other.  It was
just impossible to keep track of what she was doing
and
how she was progressing.  Since Ras lives thousands of
miles away, we probably will never meet, unless one of
us manages to travel to the other coast.  How can I
keep track of him and his efforts if I am not there to
see what he is doing, see his progress, help him with
any problems he might be having and guide him where he
should be going next?  Of course, this is a moot,
because he already is apprenticed to someone else.
This is not a political decision, just a practical
one.  Any apprenticeship, whether it be cooking,
costuming, dancing, embroidery or whatever, needs to
be hands-on. While you can encourage someone long
distance, how can you judge if they are doing things
right or following the course you have given them if
you cannot see what they are doing?

Huette