SC - Recipes for period Bear Meat to be used in

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Sep 8 19:30:43 PDT 1999

Frederich said:

>Can you send me a source,  I really am trying to be good about
documentation
from know on.  <

I don't happen to have access to my sources right now, since I'm still not
unpacked from Pennsic, and many of my cookbooks are still in storage, but
I've seen similar things described in several areas- I'm thinking the most
recent I read was in Poland about 14something- can anyone help me out?

>I presume that carrots, parsnips, turnips, etc., would be in
the stew also.<

No, the ones I have heard of were strictly meat and herbs- nothing else,
though I think one of them added ale or small beer. Again, I'd have to look
the sources up, and I think I first heard of them in a library book, in 1970
something, when my mom and I first got interested in Medieval foods.

I had a couple of references before my grand computer crash this spring, but
they're now long gone. I'll look up Hunter's Stew on the 'Net, see what else
I can find. The thing that struck me in fact, was the basic similarity of
all of them, being just meat of the day's catch, put in the leftovers of
yesterday's catch, with extra fluid, usually water, and some local herbs and
salt, but never any of the expensive imports or any vegetables. The basic
idea, as I understood it, was to feed the hunters economically while they
were laying in provisions for the winter.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio