SC - Re:Cheese recipies.

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Sep 8 22:02:31 PDT 1999

Lady Katherine McGuire asked:
> Could some please either post or tell me where to look for a period
> semi-hard cheese recipe that uses less than 2 gallons of milk.  I live in an
> aptment and I need to make this in small batches.

You might want to take a look at these files in the FOOD section of my
Florilegium. Looking at the recipes in it, I find that most of them use
only a liter or two of milk and not anywhere near 2 gallons. There are also
a number of referances to other recipes and perhaps they also are sized
for similar amounts.
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat Novice" by
                                       Lady Aoife Finn.
cheesemaking-msg  (30K)  7/21/99    Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.

Many of the recipes are for soft cheeses, but I imagine most of these can
be turned into semi-hard cheeses through more draining and ageing.

Also, from what I've been hearing, only a small portion of this milk turns
into cheese. If your concern is storing the cheese, then it will be much
smaller than 2 gallons or 2 litters of milk. If the problem is storing the
milk until you make cheese out of it, then perhaps you should buy it on
the day you plan to make cheese from it.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****