SC - SC-OT-For Cooking Laurels/Pelicans

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Thu Sep 9 05:46:08 PDT 1999

Rayne/Richard wrote:

> <snip

> My own Pelican lives in Atlanta, GA and my husband's Knight (hubby is a squire)
> live in almost center Mississippi.  We all work very hard to make the
> relationships work.  The
> Knight travels north and my husband travels south to meet in the Middle as often
> as possible.  They talk on the computer and on the telephone and keep each other
> posted on what they bother need and require.  As a protégé my service to my Peer
> is service to the Society.  I keep her posted to what I am doing, how I am
> doing, seek her advice and counsel...attempt to follow it, serve where I can.
> We have both been in the SCA a great many years and this helps.

<snip>

I live in Tasmania (the little island down the bottom of Aust for those not in the
know) and I am proteged to a Peer who lives in Sydney (3-4 hours flight time away).
Admittedly, when I first became proteged I was in the same geographical area as my
Pelican.  I became a protégé because I was interested in the same things as my
Pelican:  particularly running feasts & medieval cooking.  For several years we ran
feasts together and it was very 'hands on'.  Subsequently I moved to Melbourne then
Hobart.  I am still her protégé.  The relationship has changed, but it was a change
that occurred before I moved, as the relationship progressed.  Initially it was very
hands on because that was what we both liked.  As my experience grew then the needs
of the relationship changed.  I admire my Pelican immensely and she is a firm friend
. . . and I also still 'check in' with her & keep her up to date with what I'm
doing, how I'm going etc.

What I was interested in was that it appeared that a different 'value' (not right
word but can't think of better one :-) that was placed in belting a subordinate.
The description a couple of weeks ago of the apprenticing (of Lord Ras, I think?)
was one that showed far more formality than any that I have seen in Lochac.  I
thought it sounded nice.  Is it common to have a sort of ceremony attached to the
belting of a squire, protégé, or apprentice elsewhere?

Lorix

PS:  what is the difference between a laurel cooking and a pelican cooking?
It's the same as the difference between a gourmet cooking and a gourmand.
With the first there is absolutely spectacular food, beautifully presented but not
very much of it and with the second, there is good food and lots of it :-)

Lorix, running pitifully (cap in hand) towards yonder rock pleading for sanctuary
:-)

> > "HICKS, MELISSA" wrote:
> > >
> > > Why the geographic proximity?  Is it something to do with cross-Kingdom
> > > politics or is it simply that cooking is a hands-on activity?
> > >
> > > Have any of you taken on a cooking apprentice that isn't in the same
> > > geographic area?

<snip>