SC - Vyaunde Furnez sanz noum de chare (was Recipes for Period Bear Meat)

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Thu Sep 9 08:05:06 PDT 1999

Hello!  Thanks for sharing your experiment!

><snip> Trying to make sense of the original receipt, I concluded that a
>"tyne y-makyd of eyroun" was a scribal error for a "cyue y-makyd of eyroun"
>(t and c, and u and n might easily be confused in 15th century secretary
>script).  I read  "cyue" as "civee" (u and v being sometimes interchangable),
>which in other contexts is an onion sauce.  A civee of eggs, it occurred to
>me, might be a sauce of minced onions mixed with egg.  I made such a mixture,
>and spread a layer of this over the strips of fat to form a base.  When the
>receipt called for a cyue to be layered, alternating with grease, I concluded
>this referred to the cyue of eyroun that had just been prepared.  I layered
>butter (in place of grease) and the onion and egg mixture between the colored
>ground-meat layers.  When it baked, the egg and onion layer solidified,
>holding the filling together, and setting off the colored layers, giving a
>pronounced striped effect.
<snip>

I took my interpretation of "tyne" as a "pancake" from the recipe that
immediately follows this in the MS.

#13, also called "Vn Vyaunde furnez san[3] nom de chare", says "Take
flowre, Almaunde milke, & Safroune, & make [th]er-of .iiij. tynes, & frye
[th]i tynez in Oyle..."

Take flour, Almond milk, & Saffron, & make thereof 4 pancakes/crepes/flat
dough-thingies, & fry thy pancakes/crepes/flat dough-thingies in Oil...

#13 is a similarly elaborate recipe that uses fish instead of flesh.
Perhaps the name should read "A baked dish without meat"? ('nom' being
confused for 'non') and #12, being made in similar fashion, shared the same
name??

#13 is a dish in 4 layers, not 7.  It is also 4 colored & checkerboard in
assembly.  The layers are put on thus: Take the first course of the fish (4
colors), in 4 quarters, as a checkerboard, and put a stew/sauce (almond
milk & spices that the fish was cooked in) on the fish; sprinkle with
sugar, cover with a pancake.  And so on for 4 layers.  The top is - I think
- - supposed to have a decorative hole cut out in the center in the shape of
a rose: "Nym [[th]e] .iiij. cours a-cordant to [th]in o[th]er, a-[th]enched
to-geder, an a-boue a hole as a rose, & cetera."

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"