SC - Judge's Mouthfuls-a recipe

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Sep 9 08:12:29 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/9/99 7:51:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time, cclark at vicon.net
writes:

<< So if anyone can come up with a period formula for lime, sorbet, or
sherbet,
 so that we know how thick the batters were, perhaps we can put in our mouths
 a mouthful of Misenbec. :-)

This was interesting. It shows a possible shift of name meanings between one
food to another. Judge's Mouthfuls do contain flour and they are dipped in a
sweet syrup.  BTW, the syrup is not specified as honey.  I found the original
finally. :-)

Your recipes clearly indicate a finished product more similar to 'Funnel
Cakes'. Judge's mouthfuls are clearly not a batter product but rather a
raised dough product.  Enjoy! :-)

Luqam al-Qadl (Judges Mouthfuls)
(Translation from A Collection of Renaissance and Medieval Cookery Books.
Al-Baghdadi. Compiled by Duke Sir Cariadoc of the Bow (David Friedman). Vol.
1, 2nd Edition)

Original:
Make a firm dough. When fermented, take in the size of hazelnuts, and fry in
sesame oil. Dip in syrup, and sprinkle with fine ground sugar.

This is my adaptation for the modern kitchen:

1 loaf bread dough, risen
Sesame oil (clear pressed oil) - for frying
Sugar syrup
Castor sugar

Break pieces of dough off loaf about the size if a hazelnut. Drop into hat
oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove from oil with a slotted
spoon. Drain. Dip into syrup and sprinkle with sugar. Serve.

Ras