SC - OT - stuffed camel

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Sep 9 12:19:26 PDT 1999

Anahita wrote:
>Has anyone verified that actual possibility of that underseasoned camel
>recipe actually being real? It sure looked fake to me... Is there a pot big
>enough to hold a whole cleaned camel?

I´ve seen several versions of the stuffed camel recipe but it was usually
cooked in an earth pit or special clay oven. When it was a recipe, it was
usually presented as a sort of joke or urban legend. But I´ve also seen
mention of it in serious books dealing with the cooking of the Gulf region -
no one seems to have been able to find out if this was really done or not.
>From Traditional Arabic Cooking by Miriam Al Hashimi:

"We have heard of a whole young camel being stuffed with a whole roasted
lamb, which had been filled with a whole chicken. The empty cavities were
filled with rice, nuts, raisins and spices." Then she gives a recipe for
Quozi mahshi - a whole lamb stuffed with spiced rice, onions, almonds, pine
nuts, pistachios and garlic - and says: "In Saudi Arabia and some of the
other Gulf countries the lamb is stuffed with spiced rice, a whole chicken
and eggs."

She also says: "In preparation for a wedding or other feast in the Gulf
countries a jointed camel may occasionally be found simmering slowly in a
huge aluminium pot over an open fire. Chopped onions, saffron threads,
cardamom pods, cinnamon bark, cloves, pierced loomi and peppercorns are
added to the pot, which is occasionally stirred with a long-handled,
oversized ladle."

(The next recipe in the book is for Ras kharouf, sheep´s head cheese - you
want this, Ras?)

Nanna