SC - OT - stuffed camel

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Thu Sep 9 21:11:27 PDT 1999

Ras asked:
>What is Baharat?

A modern ethnic cookbook i have, "North Africa" by Kitty Morse (Chronicle
Books, San Francisco, 1996), gives a Tunisian version:

Bharat

makes 2 teaspoons

2 Tablespoons dried rosebuds (about 10 buds), stem and calyx removed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In spice grinder or mortar and pestle grind all ingredients to a fine powder.

The author says the Tunisians use it to season couscous, meat dishes, and
egg tagines.

Despite her name, the author was born and raised in Morocco and lived most
of her life in the Maghrib. Her father was an ex-pat Brit, but her mother's
side were local Sephardic Jews. The book covers vegetarian Maghribi food,
with dishes from Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia. While most of the recipes
are actual modern ethnic vegetarian food, some are adapted from meat
recipes. In most cases, the author mentions this.

She also wrote "Cooking at the Kasbah: Recipes from my Moroccan Kitchen"
(Chronicle Books, San Francisco, 1998)

The books are definitely not "period", but they are tasty modern ethnic.

I'll now have to go searching for the book, "Traditional Arabic Cooking" by
Miriam Al Hashimi, that Nanna mentioned.

Anahita Gawri bint-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi
of the ever expanding library