SC - lime or sorbet, but not lime sorbet

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Fri Sep 10 16:57:25 PDT 1999

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon asked:
>Does anyone around know a period formula for either lime (the non-fruit
>kind) or sorbet? I've got one recipe for misenbec that says the batter
>should be "as tough as any lime" and another that says it should be thinned
>to the consistency of sorbet. If I just knew how thick these were I'd know
>how to make misenbec.
>
>As it is, I'm guessing that it should be a thick batter, not too thick
>because all my sources agree that it runs through one or more holes in the
>bottom (or bottom and sides) of a bowl, but not thin because one source says
>that one can make it in a variety of shapes, so it must be thick enough to
>hold together when cooked.

Hmmm, i might interpret "lime" as "slaked plaster" - which is quite thick
even before it begins to set, while if i'm not mistaken, a sorbet is a
syrup which is mixed with water to make a beverage.

Of course, i could be mistaken, and i'm sure i'll hear about it from the
more knowledgeable on the list :-)

Anahita