SC - Laurel vs Pelican for cooking

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 10 16:59:45 PDT 1999

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> Please let me throw my 2 cents in here.
>     Yes, when feeding hungry people you are doing a service. BUT developing
> the recipes, putting together a menu, cooking the food so that it is a
> pleasure to eat, arranging good *looking* food on the platter, working out
> the cooking times and methods and the serving order etc so that everything
> comes out hot at the same time......THAT'S an ART!!!

The same point, in a way, from another perspective. It's perfectly
possible, in theory, to be a cooking laurel without ever having cooked a
feast for an SCA event. You can demonstrate every form of artistry on a
small scale, from research, cooking, garniture and serving, on a small
scale, and deserve (again, in theory) a laurel. It's the serving of the
masses, the feeding of people at SCA events in a way that contributes
not only to feeding the people but also to the atmosphere and theme of
the event (while it may still be totally inauthentic) that earns a
pelican. I think...

I dunno, people in the East are introducing a lot of arguments about
Service to the Arts, a concept which could go either way, I suspect.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com