SC - Judge's Mouthfuls-a recipe

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Sep 10 20:53:22 PDT 1999

Adamantius commented:
> The recipes I've seen for modern Loukamades are for a soft yeast dough,
> squeezed out and pinched off by the handful with oiled hands, in a
> motion similar to milking a cow.  The purpose of this technique is, I
> gather, to maximize the forming of a gluten membrane outside each piece,
> resulting in an extremly crispy crust when fried. This wouldn't be
> achieved, in theory, by using a spoon. Of course this is then obviated
> by pouring a syrup over the whole thing. Go figure.

But would this pouring of syrup over the fried dough necessarily obviate
the crispness? I would think it would matter how long it sat that way.
Wouldn't it still be crisp, yet covered in sweet syrup if served
immediately? I would think that it would only go really soft and squishy
after a while soaking in the syrup. Maybe this is dependant upon how
thick the syrup is.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: