SC - New World Feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Sep 10 21:53:41 PDT 1999

Etain asked:
> Hello, my name is Lady Etain O'Rourke, I am hoping that those of you on this
> list may be able to help assist me.  Our shire is planning on doing a new
> world event in the spring, does anyone have recipes that would have been
> taken from the New World?

I assume you are looking for food items taken from the New World and blended
with Old World items to make new dishes or modifications of old. I'm not sure
that there are any that New World dishes that were taken from there and used
as is in the Old World.

You might want to look in these files in my Florilegium. Even if there are
few or no recipes, there are likely to be referances that might have recipes.
In the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section:
chocolate-msg     (33K)  9/29/98    History and description of early chocolate.

In FOOD-BOOKS:
books-food-msg    (50K)  4/23/99    Books about food. Not cookbooks.

In FOOD:
tomatoes-msg      (18K)  6/28/99    Tomatoes in period.
tomato-hist-art   (18K)  2/ 1/99    "You say tomato I say Xitomatl" by Lord
                                       Xaviar the Eccentric.
polenta-msg       (16K)  2/16/99    Period polenta. Wheat and maize polenta.
root-veg-msg     (100K)  9/ 7/99    Medieval and period root vegetables.
    ie: sweet and 'white' potatoes.
nuts-msg          (60K)  4/ 2/99    Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.
    ie: acorns. The American Indians used them. I don't know if the Europeans did.
peppers-msg       (27K)  7/14/99    The introduction of peppers to Europe.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****