SC - Russian embassy meal

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 12 20:06:51 PDT 1999

Anya replied to my questions about her menu for her Russian embassy meal with:
> >I don't think Vodka is period, even by SCA standards.
> Actually it is. It just wasn't make out of potatos. It was made out of
> grains instead.

Ok, I was aware of potatoes being later and was thinking of a distilled
beverage even of grain not being period for Russia. Is modern vodka a
reasonable substitute for this? I thought when you distilled grain you got
something closer to bourbon or whiskey? Rather than the clear, practically
tasteless modern vodka.

> >How about making Kvass instead?
> No time to let it get bubbly, and I can't find any of the concentrate around
> here that would be ready in time.

Interesting. I'd not seen anyone mention any kind of concentrate in previous
discussions of kvass. Is this something like the serkanjbam concentrate in
that it can be kept in that state until needed and then added to water?
Or is this concentrate some modern convenience item for making kvass?

Unlike mead, I got the feeling that kvas was a real quick thing like
period beer and wasn't brewed long. But yes, you've only got a few
weeks.

> >Lemon drink? While lemons were known in period,
> >I doubt Russia got any, at least not enough to use for drinks.
> This is late period, and a Mongol- influenced drink. supposed to be
> alchoholic, but I'm not putting the rum in it.

rum??? I'd think that would be less likely to be period than the lemons.
But ok, you said this drink wasn't period.

> Will post recipies after the insanity dies down.

Please do.

We are hoping to make this event as we haven't been before and I think
these culture camps and embassies sound interesting.

Stefan

> Anya
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net