SC - oop recipe request toaster Biscuits

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Mon Sep 13 04:47:10 PDT 1999

><< point of fact I never heard of a "Pie floater" until I read Pratchett's
> The Last Continent - and was horrified to discover what it really was; and
>that
> people actually ate it!) >>
>
>Spoon tease! :-0
>
>Ras

Two descriptions found on the Net:

"The South Australian Pie Floater
Cibus Disgustus Adelaidium

The 'Pie Floater' is a uniquely South Australian dish. It consists of the
following items :
A hot meat pie (small, handheld thing)
A bowl of split-pea soup
A bottle of tomato ketchup (or catsup)
To make one, you put the bowl of soup on a non-moving flat surface, place
the pie in the soup and cover it with tomato ketchup. Then eat.

If you think that sounds bad, they are normally sold in late-night mobile
vending stalls called "Pie Carts". These wait along well-used streets and
sell them to drunken passers-by who are too inebriated to know better.

To be honest, they're not as bad as they sound... but I've only had 2 of
them and I wasn't particularly sober either time."

and:

"Start with a bowl of Pea soup. Then take a meat pie (check the nutritional
information, make sure it exceeds 80% of Recommended Daily Allowance for
Cholesterol), and drop it into the center of the soup. It should float
squarely in the middle of the bowl. Then smother it in ketchup, and consume
quickly before it gets cold."

There is also a photo at this site:

http://lard.net/piefloat.html

Nanna