SC - RE: Onions

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Mon Sep 13 13:13:41 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----

>Stefan li Rous wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know what a "Welsh onion" is? <<

  Adamantius answered:
>I believe Flower and Rosenbaum refer to Welsh onion in the translation of
Apicius, who would certainly not have known them as such, so presumably
Charlemagne didn't either. I believe they're a long-bladed onion somewhere
in between what we'd think of as a scallion or green onion, <

    So, that makes Leeks something different?  My first thought / response
was "leeks."

Caointiarn
 Kitchen Wench