SC - Almond Paste

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Sep 14 07:36:32 PDT 1999

In a message dated 09/14/1999 12:02:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
harper at idt.net writes:

<<
   However, I am concerned about the fact that the store-bought
 was much more strongly almond-flavored.  Several of the recipes I found
 on the web suggest that almond paste needs to "mature" for a week or
 more until the flavor develops.  One suggested that the impatient could
 add almond extract, if they wanted to use the paste right away.  Have
 you found that the flavor strengthens with age?  And do you need to
 store the finished product in the fridge?

  Brighid >>
    Yes, definitely refrigerate it! I'm not sure about the flavor developing
with time, though, since I've always added rosewater to mine, which would
mask the natural almond flavoring. I *think*, though, that at least some of
the commercial almond pastes/marzipans I've seen have almond flavoring added
to them, so if you are judging your flavor expectations by commercial
products that might explain why it seems a bit bland to you. On the other
hand, for an almond cake, you'd probably need to add some of the almond
flavoring to achieve a strong enough taste to be discernible, anyway, so it
won't hurt anything to use some in the paste as well as the batter. The cake
sounds yummy, BTW! Let us know how it turns out. :-)

                    Ldy Diana