SC - OOP - seed cake help

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 14 19:14:41 PDT 1999

Gerekr at aol.com wrote:

> Looking for a recipe for "seed cake" my husband remembers his English
> grandmother making...

Presumably your husband's grandmother isn't quite this well-preserved,
but one never knows....

This is from Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861:

"A VERY GOOD SEED CAKE

Ingredients. - 1 lb. of butter, 6 eggs, 3/4 lb. of caster sugar, pounded
mace and grated nutmeg to taste, 1 lb. of flour, 3/4 ounce of caraway
seeds, 1 wineglassful of brandy.

Mode. - Beat the butter to a cream, dredge in the flour, add the sugar,
mace, nutmeg, and caraway seeds, and mix all well together. Whisk the
eggs, stir the brandy into them, and add to the other ingredients; beat
the mixture again for  10 minutes. Put it into a tin lined with buttered
paper, and bake it in a moderate oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. This cake
would be equally nice made with currants, omitting the caraway seeds."

Yes, this isn't a cake with multiple seeds, but could easily be, I
suppose. I've also heard of aniseed being used for this purpose...the
recipe looks to me like a close relative of a seeded pound cake.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com